Our academy programme forms the foundation level of our development pathway and is a great way for girls begin the game for the first time or get involved with Hampshire Girls Golf.
** Academies Update – 1st May 2020 **
The Hampshire Ladies Golf Board of Directors met virtually on Friday, 24th April to review the ongoing situation regarding COVID-19 and discuss the competition schedule for the rest of the season. It was agreed that all county competitions, training and matches will be cancelled until 27th July 2020.
In light of the above announcement, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel the 2020 Academy Programme in Hampshire. We look forward to resuming the programme in 2021 and will be in touch with dates and venues as soon as possible. More information about the programme can be found below.
The Hampshire Girls Golf Academy Programme is open to girls aged between 6 to 18 years and forms the foundation level of our development pathway.
Each year the programme consists of:
- Three week starter course – 3 consecutive weeks of 2 hour sessions to learn the basics. Sessions are typically run at the end of April each year at Alresford Golf Club.The focus of these introductory sessions is on having fun, enjoyment and meeting other girls to learn how to play the game in a sociable environment. All the girls need to worry about is wearing warm casual clothing, all equipment needed for the sessions will be supplied.
Girls who have attended previously but would like a refresher are also more than welcome to attend.
- Monthly academy sessions – After completing the taster course, or for girls who have attended academies in previous year, we run monthly academy sessions at Alresford Golf Club and Tournerbury Golf Centre. Sessions take place in May, June, July, September and October.
Monthly academy sessions are split into two groups:
- Participation – for girls who are new to the game
- Preparation – for girls who are ready to advance their skills having attended previous academy sessions, had lessons with a club pro, or joined a club and have a handicap.
All of our academy sessions are led by experienced and highly qualified PGA professional coaches. For girls who are already receiving coaching from a local club professional, please let us know so our coaches can liaise with local professionals regarding individual programmes and ensure that our sessions complement the goals of that programme.
- Festival Day – Upon the conclusion of the programme, each year we hold a fun 9-hole Texas Scramble event at Ampfield Golf Club. Girls compete in mixed ability teams of 3 or 4 players, each of which are captained by one of our Performance or Project Squad players. An adult shepherd also accompanies each group around the par 3 course to provide guidance on rules, etiquette and ensure flow of play.
After golf we host a prize giving for the girls and their parents, usually accompanied by sandwiches and ever popular chips.
If you have any questions about our academies or would like to register your interest in our 2021 programme, please contact our Academy Co-Ordinator, Anne Chambers or our Junior & Intermediate Golf Director, Hannah Holloway.